Sunday, December 31, 2006

Terry


A friend of mine died yesterday (30th december 2006). He now shares his death day with my dear Great Granny Esme. I wondered if he arrived on that day by chance or if she was there at the portal waiting for him. I hope her, my Grandpa and Spikey (our dearly beloved and departed foxie) with his waving stump tail were all there waiting to greet and settle him.

I feel all mixed up sadness for the suffering and the loss, but happy the suffering is over and now he and his family can begin the healing.

He and his wife and family gave me many precious gifts. The first one is that they both appreciated my visits and my doctoring. I didn't do much - mostly held his hand and told him to enjoy and get complete with his life. The gift for me was realising how just being their doctor, not doing anything was a comfort. He didn't say much his last two weeks - but whenever I went to sit with him be would give me a big smile. I brought him some pleasure, even if it was only a few seconds, just by being there.

The second gift they unknowingly gave me is the chance to further heal and come to terms with the suffering my own grandpa and family went through back in March when he died.

I am honoured and grateful for the chance to have met and known Terry, my secret favourite patient this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home