Monday, April 16, 2007

The Play



It was called Nobody's Perfect and I had the smallest of 4 roles as "Deedee", a stroppy, sly teenager.



My fellow actors were the Hospital ward Manager (Harriet with her blow up doll companion), the ex Attorney General (who was my outrageous Grandpi) and the Infant Junior School Headmaster (who is both my father and his imaginary pen name, my dear old Auntie Myrtle). The backstage crew were a mix of lovely, supportive people from the town - it was great to get to know some new peeps.
It's a funny play and the audiences seemed to enjoy it. We got good reviews in the Penguin News and I appeared briefly (and embarrassingly) on the local radio station. The only complaints were mostly related to the hardness of the seats! Tim's Mom only slept through one scene, which apparently means the play was great.

For me it was a personal conquest. I hadn't been acted for 14 years and I am really proud of me that I returned to the stage. As a kid I had always dreamt of being an actress. Tim burst that bubble when he told me my acting skills were akin to Joey's from friends when he "acts" - pretty bad then.. but I realised it is something that one has to practice and work at to be good at. It also came clear that I don't have to prove anything to him, he loves me just as I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home